WHAT IS A HOMESTEAD EXEMPTION?
Homestead exemptions are granted by the county appraisal district where the property is located. The exemption reduces a homeowner’s property tax bill by removing part of the home’s value from taxation. All Texas homeowners may receive a General Residence Homestead Exemption on the value of their property for school taxes upon application. Other taxing entities may also offer exemptions of some percentage of the home’s value. Other exemptions are available to homeowners who are over 65 or disabled and require the same application process.
These requirements must be met to receive the exemption:
- You must own your home on January 1st of the year for which you are applying.
- You must reside at the home as your principal residence on January 1st of that year, and not claim any other property as homestead.
- Only individual homeowners (not corporations or other entities) may receive a homestead exemption.
- A homestead can be a house, condominium or a manufactured home. It can include up to 20 acres, if the land is also owned by the homeowner and used as a yard, or for another purpose related to the residential use of the home.
HOW TO APPLY FOR A HOMESTEAD EXEMPTION
Your Homestead Exemption will be denied unless all the required documents show the same homestead address. First, fill out the application specific to your County Appraisal District, then mail all of the documents to the Appraisal District for your County.
- Download Residential Homestead | Exemption Application for your County:
Mailing Address: P.O. BOX 149012, Austin, TX 78714
Travis Central Appraisal District Website: https://www.traviscad.org
Mailing Address: 625 FM 1460, Georgetown, TX 78626
Williamson Central Appraisal District Website: https://www.wcad.org
- Bastrop County | Click here to download the application
Mailing Address: P.O. Drawer 578, Bastrop, Texas 78602
Bastrop Central Appraisal District Website: https://www.bastropcad.org/
- Hays County | Click here to download the application
Mailing Address: 21001 IH 35 North, Kyle, TX 78640
Hays Central Appraisal District Website: https://www.hayscad.com
- Bell County | Click here to download the application
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 390, Belton, TX 76513
Bell County Appraisal District Website: http://www.bellcad.org
- Include a Copy of your Driver’s License or Identification Card. Your driver’s license needs to be from the Texas Department of Public Safety (TX DPS) and the address must match the homestead address.